Surveillance DVR Video Backup
The JPEG2000 & Dual Codec surveillance DVRs that CCTV Camera Pros supplies allow the DVR operator to backup video to the built in CD burner or to a USB thumb drive from the USB port on the front of the DVR. CCTV Camera Pros recommends using a USB thumb drive because you can backup a lot more video to a 4, 8, or 16 GB USB drive than you can a 700MB CD-R disc.
The purpose of the backup system is to allow the DVR operator to export a specific segment of video so that the video can easily be transferred to the police in the event that something occurs that needs to be investigated. The file that is exported by the backup process can be replayed using the video player application that is built into the integrated remote station software that the DVR comes with. The backup system is designed to export minutes worth of video. The system is NOT meant to be an archiving service to export hours and days of video to an external drive.
Important Update! CCTV Camera Pros replaced the JPEG2000 DVR with the latest iDVR-PRO surveillance DVRs. You can learn here how easy it is to backup video footage and play it back using iDVR-PRO here. You can also watch demo videos here to see the remote viewing apps for Mac, Windows, iPhone, and Android mobile devices.
Video Surveillance Backup Instructions
The below instructions will show you how to backup / export video so that you can bring the video to the police or anyone for that matter.
- It is recommended that you first use one of the DVRs video search methods to narrow down the time frame of video that you want to export. You should know the exact begin and end time / date of the video that you want to export before you proceed. Click here is you need instructions for this: Surveillance Video Search Instructions. While you are searching and playback video, you should note the begin and end date that you want to backup.
- On your DVR or the DVR remote control press the menu button.
- Enter your password when prompt. If you did not setup a password on your system yet, just press OK or Enter.
- From the System Menu, select Backup. The backup menu will display two choices: CD-R Setup & USB Setup. We recommend using the USB option and using a 2, 4, 8, or 16 GB USB thumb drive. If you wish to backup to a CD, please note that only CD-R discs are compatible with the system. Instructions for both types of media are below.
CD-R Video Backup
- Select CD-R Setup from the menu and press OK (Enter).
- The CD-R Setup screen will appear. The screen will at first display a message that says " CD-RW Door Close. Checking CD-R". Wait about 10 seconds while it checks your drive. The CD drive door should automatically eject after about 10 second and the screen will display a message that says " CD-RW Door Open".
- Insert a blank CD-R disc into the drive and close the drive. A message will flash that says "CD-R Media detected", then there will be an option at the button of the screen that says "BURN".
- The cursor should be next to the Start field on the screen. Press the OK / Enter button on your DVR to select the start time and date. Using the DVRs arrow buttons and + / - buttons select the exact time and date that you want the backup to begin from. Based on the amount of free space on your CD-R disc (normally 700MB) the end dat will automatically be selected for you. If all of the video that you want to export will not fit on one disc, follow these steps multiple times and adjust the start date where you leave off.
- After you select the Start time, press OK (Enter), then us the down arrow on the DVR or remote to select Burn. Then press OK (Enter).
- A status bar will display next to the Burn field to show you the progress of the video backup.
- When the backup is complete, the disc will be ejected for you automatically.
USB Drive Video Backup
- Select USB Setup from the Backup menu and press OK (Enter).
- The USB Setup screen will appear. On the bottom of the screen, there will be a message that says "USB Storage is Checking". Insert your USB thumb drive.
- The system will check how much free space is available on the drive and if there is room available, a message on the bottom of the screen will be displayed that says "USB Storage is Available".
- The cursor should be next to the Start field on the screen. Press the
OK / Enter button on your DVR to select the start time and date. Using
the DVRs arrow buttons and + / - buttons select the exact time and date
that you want the backup to begin from. Based on the amount of free
space on your USB drive, the end date will automatically
be selected for you. If all of the video that you want to export will
not fit on one export, follow these steps multiple times and adjust the
start date where you leave off. You may copy the exported file to a PC and delete it from the drive each time.
- Select Backup and press OK (Enter) to begin the backup.
- A status bar will show you the progress of the video backup. Depending on the length of video that you are backing up, the backup can take a while to perform.
- When the backup is complete, the screen will flash and the status bar will disappear.
Playing Surveillance Video Backup
The Integrated Remote Station
allows you to play back exported surveillance video using the Player application built into it. Follow the below instructions to play back exported video.
You can now navigate through the video in forward or reverse, quick or slow.
Install the most recent version of
the Integrated Remote Station by downloading it from our website here:
Remote Station Download
. This version is always the most recent and should
be used instead of the version that is on the CD that came with your
Save the file "JPEG-IRS-Setup.exe" to your windows desktop or select run. This is
the installation file to install the Remote Station on your computer. If you
saved the file, locate it and double click on it to begin installation. If you
selected to run the program, the installation will begin after the file is done
Once the installation is complete, an icon will be created on your Windows desktop to
launch the Integrated Remote Station. The icon will look like this:
- Click on the Player button on the right hand side. The player will open.
- Click on the Open button in the lower right hand corner of the player screen. This will open a standard Windows open file dialog box.
- Browse to the exported video on your CD or on your USB thumb drive and double click on it or click it once and select open.
- Click on the play button on the bottom of the Player screen.