The HDMI-U3 is an HDMI to USB converter / video capture device that enables
live video streaming from Mac and Windows PCs. Our customers use the HDMI-U3 to live stream from Zoom, YouTube, Facebook, Facebook Gaming, LiveStream, Twitch and all other online video streaming platforms. This external HDMI to USB capture box can be used as an alternative to an internal HDMI capture card.
The USB-3.0 connection enables a simple, plug and play setup. There is no software driver installation required for Mac or Windows. The HDMI-U3 can capture the HDMI video output of any device up to 4K resolution. The video capture box automatically down-scales the video to 1080p resolution for streaming and / or video capture. Many of our customers use this converter in conjunction with our video multiplexers and security camera DVRs to create a multiple camera streaming solution. Checkout these setup instructions on
how to use the HDMI-U3 with a video multiplexer to stream multiple cameras. You can also watch this archive of an actual live video stream that CCTV Camera Pros broadcast on YouTube.
The optional USB-3 to USB-C adapter should be added to your order if you are using a Macbook or Macbook Pro with a USB-C Thunderbolt connection.
Video Streaming Applications
Here are some of the main types of video streaming applications that customers use with this HDMI to USB port adapter.
- Multiple Security Cameras - stream multiple security cameras on a single screen or switch between views on the fly.
- Single Security Camera - compatible with just about any BNC security camera wen used in conjunction with our BNC to HDMI converter. Dome, bullet, indoor, outdoor, infrared night vision. All types of cameras are compatible.
- Video Camera / Camcorder - use with a camcorder, SLR camera, any type of camera that has HDMI output.
- Video Game Console - live stream video game play from XBox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, more.
Please note that these are just some examples. The HDMI-U3 will work with any type of video device that has an HDMI output.
- (1) HDMI Video Input
- (1) HDMI Video Output
- (1) USB 3.0 Connection
- (1) 12" USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 Cable Included
- Optional USB 3.0 to USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 Adapter for Mac Users
- Supports HDMI Video Input Up to 4K Resolution
- Supports HDMI Loop Output Up to 4K Resolution
- Supports USB Video Capture Up to 1080p Resolution
- Video Input Over 1080p is Down-Scaled to 1080p
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Macintosh OS X (10.8 and above), Linux (Kernel version 2.6.38 and above)
- Software Compatibility: OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), Windows Media Encoder, Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, VLC, QuickTime Broadcaster, QuickTime Player, Wirecast
This is one of the HDMI to USB live streaming setups that we use at CCTV Camera Pros. This system uses on of our
multi-camera live TV display systems that includes an HD CCTV multiplexer and up to 4 HD security cameras. The wireless remote control that us included with the VM-HD4 multiplexer allows broadcasters to switch between single and multiple camera views in real time while streaming.
You can see that we are using the HDMI loop output of our HDMI to USB converter to display our cameras on the TV in addition to capturing the video via USB-C on our Macbook Pro.
Here is an archive of an actual YouTube Live video stream that uses the HDMI-U3, four HD security cameras, and a VM-HD4 CCTV multiplexer. *Please note that you may need to click the image twice for the video to begin playing.
This is how the HDMI to USB video capture is setup. We are using a multiple camera system for this example. You can also refer to the single camera streaming diagram below.
- Starting on the right, there are 4 HD security cameras connected to a CCTV multiplexer.
- These cameras are hard wired using pre-made security camera cable.
- The 4ch multiplexer includes a wireless remote control. The person that is streaming video can switch the video display between single and multiple camera views using this remote.
- The HDMI video output of the multiplexer is connected to the HDMI input on the HDMI to USB capture box (HDMI-U3).
- Optionally, the HDMI loop output on the HDMI-U3 can be connected to a TV monitor, so that a local live monitor display can be used at the same time the computer is capturing video.
- The USB 3.0 port on the HDMI-U3 connects to the HDMI input on the PC. Please note that if you are using a Macbook, you need to purchase the optional USB-3 to USB-C (Thunderbolt) converter.
- The PC, a Macbook Pro in this case is running Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). OBS is integrated with Facebook Live, YouTube Live, Twitch TV, and many other live streaming platforms. If you plan on streaming a Zoom meeting, then you can install the Zoom broadcasting software on your PC. The HDMI-U3 has been tested and works very well with OBS and Zoom.
- The Macbook is connected to a network router to provide an Internet connection.
- The Internet connection enabled the video capture to be sent to the streaming platforms.
- You can also connect a USB microphone to the laptop for audio streaming. The HDMI-U3 capture device also supports HDMI audio, however we recommend using a separate USB microphone.
Another way to video stream multiple cameras is by using a security camera DVR (instead of a video multiplexer). The setup is the same as the one described above, except the DVR is used in place of the CCTV multiplexer. One of the advantages of this setup is that businesses can use their DVR for security and also for live streaming video.
The single camera live stream setup works the same way as the multiple camera setup that is described above. The difference is that an
HDCV-3-T BNC to HDMI converter is used instead of the video multiplexer. The HDCV-3-T has a single BNC video input that is compatible with HD BNC security cameras (AHD, HD-TVI, and HD-CVI formats supported). Everything else works the same as with the multi-camera system.
The HDMI-U3 can be used with any camcorder or video camera that has an HDMI video output.
The HDMI-U3 is used by video gamers players to live stream video game play to Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Gaming, and all other streaming platforms that gamers use. The HDMI loop output enables video gamers to send the HDMI output of their game console to a monitor at the same time the video is captured by their streaming PC. Works with XBox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, and any other game console that has HDMI output.
If you will use the HDMI to USB converter with a Macintosh PC that has Thunderbolt 3 ports, then you should add the optional USB-3 to USB-C Thunderbolt adapter to your order.
USB Type A Port
The above image shows a Mac laptop with a USB type A port. If your PC has this type of USB port, then you DO NOT need the optional USB-3 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.
Thunderbolt 3 Port
This image shows a MacBook Pro laptop with Thunderbolt 3 ports. If you are using a Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports, then you need to add the optional USB-3 to USB-C / Thunderbolt adapter to your order.
Convert Live Display System to Streaming System
The HDMI-U3 can be added to any of our live camera display systems to create a single or multiple camera live streaming system.