This is how an LPR system is typically setup at the gated entrance of an HOA. These concepts also apply to most other types of residential or commercial gated access communities.
- The license plate recognition camera (LPR) is typically mounted fairly low to the ground. The less of an angle to the license plates, the clearer the image. In the above installation, the LPR camera is mounted inside a protective box, which is mounted to a pole. This protects the camera from weather elements and will help ensure a long lifespan.
- The color overview camera is mounted higher than the LPR camera. This is to provide a much wider overview of the passing vehicles.
Facial Security Camera for Gate
Some communities like to use an additional camera facing inside the drivers side window, so that when a vehicle is stopped at the gate or call box, the drivers face is recorded. This is optional.
Entrance & Exit Video Surveillance Monitoring
Many communities want video surveillance monitoring for both the incoming and outgoing traffic at their entry / exit gate. The above image shows two overview cameras mounted to a pole. One of these cameras records cars entering the community and the other records cars exiting. On the inside of the gate, there is a second LPR camera installed to capture the license plates of outgoing vehicles.
- Why do HOA communities use LPR camera systems at gate entrances? - When crimes such as theft and vandalism occur in a gated community, the perpetrators typically exit the community after the crime is committed. Many times, the exit is by car. By recording the license plates and overview of all vehicles entering and exiting the community, the HOA can help law enforcement track down the criminals.
- Do these systems control access to the gate? - No. These systems are designed to record video of license plates clearly so that a person can review video footage and clearly identify license plates. These systems do not have automatic number plate recognition software built-in for custom programming and automation applications.
- Can a single camera be used for license plate capture system? - We always recommend pairing an LPR camera with at least one overview camera. This is because LPR cameras must be focused on a fairly narrow field of view (about the width of a single lane of traffic to be most effective). LPR cameras are also mounted low, so that the angle of view is minimized. Last, high contrast LPR cameras always operate in black and white to maximize their effectiveness with reflective license plates. We recommend a color security camera be used to provide an overview of vehicles and the surrounding area. This also provides security protection against vandalism on the low mounted LPR camera.
- Why doesn't CCTV Camera Pros include a monitor with these systems by default? - Most of the time, customers can get large HD TVs cheaper at a local department store because they are so big and heavy to ship. However, if you do need us to supply the monitor, we can.
- Are these systems easy to install? - Yes, most of our customers do it themselves and do not need a professional security installer. We supply all of the equipment for a complete setup. CCTV Camera Pros provides lifetime technical support via email, online chat, and phone The most challenging part for customers is mounting the cameras and running cable. We can help with the rest remotely. Please refer to our pre-made cable installation guide or RG59 coax cable wiring guide if you are going to use a spool of cable.
- Is the DVR easy to use? - The iDVR-PRO DVR that is included with this system is extremely easy to use. Please watch these video demos to see the user interface and the process to playback recorded video footage.
- Can I use a different type of camera than the ones I see included with these system? - For the overview camera(s) and any other cameras that you want to add to the system, yes. All of these HD security cameras work with the iDVR-PRO DVRs included with these systems. Please remember that for the license plate capture, you must use a specialized LPR camera. Please contact us if you would like a custom quote or if you need any help.
- Does CCTV Camera Pros provide technical support? - Yes. All products that we supply include lifetime technical support directly from CCTV Camera Pros at no charge.
Important Note: Please click the gear icon in the lower right of the video players and select 1080p resolution so that you can view the video in the highest resolution available.
Easy to Use Interface
The graphical user interface on the iDVR-PRO is super easy to use. Users can navigate the menu system and settings using the USB mouse that is included.
High Definition Recorded Video Playback
Watch this video to see how clear the recorded HD video surveillance footage is.
Do you need something more custom than the systems on this page? CCTV Camera Pros can provide a custom camera system quote that includes a mix of various camera styles. Please contact us here and let us know what you require.
BBB Rating & Reviews
CCTV Camera Pros is proud to have an
A+ rated with the Better Business Bureau. We also maintain a 5 star online review rating with ResellerRatings.com.
Questions / Help
Please call us at 561-433-8488 or
email us here with any questions that you have.