This is how an LPR system is typically setup at the gated entrance of an HOA. These concepts also apply to most other types of residential or commercial gated access communities.
- The license plate recognition camera (LPR) is typically mounted fairly low to the ground. The less of an angle to the license plates, the clearer the image. In the above installation, the LPR camera is mounted inside a protective box, which is mounted to a pole. This protects the camera from weather elements and will help ensure a long lifespan.
- The color overview camera is mounted higher than the LPR camera. This is to provide a much wider overview of the passing vehicles. CCTV Camera Pros likes to use these AI security cameras for overview cameras. The reason is that they have built-in vehicle detection software which works very well in conjunction with license plate reader cameras.
Facial Security Camera for Gate
Some communities like to use an additional camera facing inside the drivers side window, so that when a vehicle is stopped at the gate or call box, the drivers face is recorded. This is optional.
Entrance & Exit Video Surveillance Monitoring
Many communities want video surveillance monitoring for both the incoming and outgoing traffic at their entry / exit gate. The above image shows two overview cameras mounted to a pole. One of these cameras records cars entering the community and the other records cars exiting. On the inside of the gate, there is a second LPR camera installed to capture the license plates of outgoing vehicles.
- Why do HOA communities use LPR camera systems at gate entrances? - When crimes such as theft and vandalism occur in a gated community, the perpetrators typically exit the community after the crime is committed. Many times, the exit is by car. By recording the license plates and overview of all vehicles entering and exiting the community, the HOA can help law enforcement track down the criminals.
- Do these systems control access to the gate? - No. These systems are designed to record video of license plates clearly so that a person can review video footage and clearly identify license plates. These systems also have automatic number plate recognition software built-in. This is a function that allows the recorder to identify the numbers and letters on plates.
- Can a single camera be used for license plate capture system? - We always recommend pairing an LPR camera with at least one overview camera. This is because LPR cameras must be focused on a fairly narrow field of view (about the width of a single lane of traffic to be most effective). LPR cameras are also mounted low, so that the angle of view is minimized. Last, high contrast LPR cameras always operate in black and white to maximize their effectiveness with reflective license plates. We recommend a color security camera be used to provide an overview of vehicles and the surrounding area. This also provides security protection against vandalism on the low mounted LPR camera.
- Why doesn't CCTV Camera Pros include a monitor with these systems by default? - Most of the time, customers can get large HD TVs cheaper at a local department store because they are so big and heavy to ship. However, if you do need us to supply the monitor, we can.
- Are these systems easy to install? - Yes, most of our customers do it themselves and do not need a professional security installer. We supply all of the equipment for a complete setup. CCTV Camera Pros provides lifetime technical support via email, online chat, and phone The most challenging part for customers is mounting the cameras and running cable. We can help with the rest remotely. Please refer to our LPR installation guide.
- Is this system easy to use? - The Viewtron NVR that is included with these LPR systems is extremely easy to use. Please watch these video demos to see.
- What is the difference between LPC, LPR, and ANPR? - LPC stands for license plate capture. LPR stands for license plate recognition or license plate reader. ANPR stands for automatic number plate recognition. Please watch this video that explains in detail the differences between LPR, LPR and ANPR.
- Does CCTV Camera Pros provide technical support? - Yes. All products that we supply include lifetime technical support directly from CCTV Camera Pros at no charge.
Watch this video to see the Viewtron IP-LPR7 LPR camera used with (2)
Viewtron AI security cameras to provide a complete LPR / ANPR camera system. Check out this video to see the different ways to search & playback recorded LPR video footage.
License Plate Reader Camera + AI Vehicle Detection
Watch this video to see how CCTV Camera Pros used our the license plate reader camera in conjunction with one of our Viewtron AI cameras to detect when people are illegally dumping in our garbage dumpster. The AI camera is setup to detect people and vehicles around the dumper after hours and trigger a bookmarked event on the NVR. The
LPR-IP7 license plate reader camera captures plates.
Here is a picture of our ALPR camera system setup on the pole behind our warehouse. The camera mounted down low on the pole is the LPR / APLR camera. And, the two cameras installed up high on the pole both this model
IP-A4BZ bullet AI camera. We use both of those cameras as overview cameras to cover both directions of traffic around the bend. You can click on the image for a large view.
LPR System Demo
Viewtron license plate recognition cameras (LPR) are designed to detect when vehicle license plates enter a defined area. The LPR system tested in the above video used a Viewtron
LPR-IP7 license plate AI camera connected to a
Viewtron IP camera NVR. When a plate is detected, the event is bookmarked, a snapshot is taken, and video is recorded on the NVR's hard drive. Thumbnail images can be displayed on the live video view (like you see above) for easy access to playback the recorded video of the license plate capture.
Watch the Viewtron license plate recognition system capture plates at night time in a very dark environment. After watching the above video, you will better understand why it is important to install an LPR camera with at least one overview camera.
In addition to detecting license plates, the LPR-IP7 is also an ANPR camera (automatic number plate recognition). Number plate recognition and license plate database applications are possible when you connect a LPR-IP7 to a Viewtron NVR. The above ANPR database screenshot was captured from a Viewtron NVR. Please note that Viewtron BNC hybrid DVRs do not support LPR and other AI functions.You must use a
Viewtron IP camera NVR for all AI functions.
Front License Plate Capture
Here is another night license plate capture recording. Except this one demonstrates capturing the license plate mounted in the front of the car. This video shows how well the LPR-IP7 compensates for headlight glare. In this video, the LPR-IP7 camera is connected to a
Viewtron hybrid security camera DVR that also supports IP cameras. This is also known as a hybrid BNC DVR. Hybrid DVRs allow customers to use BNC security cameras and network IP cameras on the same recorder.
The one downside to using a Viewtron DVR vs NVR is that the DVRs do not have the ANPR software built-in. What does this mean? Basically, the camera and DVR will be able to record license plates clear enough for a human to read, but the DVR will not automatically identify the license plate and specific numbers automatically. Only Viewtron NVRs have the automatic number plate software built-in.
Please use these recommended best practices in order to plan a successful
license plate capture camera installation. It is important to mount the camera so that the camera view width is 16 feet or less at the point where plates will be captured. License plate cameras can not monitor wide areas also capture small details like the numbers on a license plate. These are extremely important concepts to understand when planning a successful license plate capture system.
Watch this video to see Mike discuss all the the best practices that he recommends when it comes to installing a
Viewtron LPR camera system.
Watch this video to see Mike review the various ways that recorded LPR video surveillance footage can be searched for and played back on Viewtron NVRs.
Watch this video to hear Mike explain the differences between LPC (license plate capture) vs LPR (license plate recognition) cameras. Mike also discusses ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) software.
CCTV Camera Pros supplies this
wireless camera system as an add-on for IP cameras. Watch the above video to see the LPR system installed at CCTV Camera Pros warehouse in West Palm Beach, Florida. We are using the WIFI system to transmit HD video from 3 security cameras mounted on a pole behind our building. This system is working great. This was an important demonstration because license plate recognition requires high quality video and frame rate. The fact that we are able to do this over WIFI is important to document for our customers. Please note, we ALWAYS recommend hard wiring camera systems. Wireless is ONLY recommended as a last resort if hard wiring is not possible. Wireless is NOT as reliable as a hard wired surveillance system.
Watch this video to see how easy it is to watch live video and playback recorded video surveillance footage on a Viewtron hybrid 4K DVR. Please note that the user interface is identical on Viewtron 4K NVRs that are included with the LPR camera systems on this page.
PoE IP Camera System
The built-in PoE ports on the Viewtron NVRs included with these systems enable a simple, plug and play installation. There are 8 PoE network ports on the back of the
8ch NVR (standard RJ-45 Ethernet), and 16 PoE ports on the 16ch NVR model. Using the pre-made CAT5 cable included with these systems, installers simply connect each camera to a port on the NVR. The NVR will detect the camera and add it to the system. For the monitor display, users can use the HDMI or VGA video outputs, or both if you want to use two monitors.
View Your Security Camera System Remotely from iPhone, Android, Mac & Windows
Windows CMS Software
BBB Rating & Reviews
CCTV Camera Pros is proud to have an
A+ rated with the Better Business Bureau. We also maintain a 5 star online review rating with ResellerRatings.com.
All customers get CCTV Camera Pros 5-star rated technical support and customer service for the life of your system. Please note that we can also
design and quote custom systems based on any number of cameras and specific requirements that you may have.
4K IP Camera NVR
Viewtron IP camera NVRs support Viewtron IP cameras and 3rd party IP cameras that are ONVIF compatible. Viewtron NVRs have built-in PoE ports. The following video recording modes: motion detection, object detection. continuous, scheduled, and alarm triggered.
Remote Internet monitoring is easy to setup.You can view your security cameras live and also playback recorded video surveillance footage from iPhone and Android mobile apps. Windows PC and Mac DVR viewer software (desktop software) is also included. CCTV Camera Pros provides FREE Lifetime Tech Support on all of our Digital Video Recorders. Remote access setup is included. There are never any monthly fees for you to monitor your system.
View your security camera from the iPhone app that is included with all Viewtron DVRs and NVRs. You can access your security cameras remotely from any WIFI or cellular connection and there are no additional fees. In addition to the live camera view, the iPhone app can also playback recorded video surveillance footage on your DVR's hard drive and receive push notifications when motion is detected by your cameras.
Learn more about
how to view your security cameras from iPhone here.
View your security camera from the Android app that is included with all Viewtron DVRs and NVRs. You can access your security cameras remotely from any WIFI or cellular connection and there are no additional fees. In addition to the live camera view, the Android app can also playback recorded video surveillance footage on your DVR's hard drive and receive push notifications when motion is detected. Learn more about how to
view your security cameras from Android here.
View your security camera with Mac software that is included with all Viewtron DVRs and NVRs. You can access your security cameras remotely from any WIFI or cellular connection and there are no additional fees. In addition to the live camera view, the Mac DVR software can also search and playback recorded video surveillance footage on your DVR's hard drive. Learn more about how to
view your security cameras with Mac software here.
View your security camera with Windows PC software that is included with all Viewtron DVRs and NVRs. You can access your security cameras remotely from the Viewtron VMS software via any WIFI or cellular connection. There are no additional monthly fees. In addition to the live camera view, the Windows DVR viewer software can also search and playback recorded video surveillance footage on your DVR's hard drive. Learn more about how to
view your security cameras with Windows PC software here.
Some of our LPR systems include
Viewtron AI security cameras that are capable of car detection. Using these AI cameras as overview cameras is very handy in license plate recognition applications. Here are some of the AI functions that are supported by Viewtron AI cameras. Please check the specification for the camera you are interested in to confirm which AI features are supported.
The vehicle detection function of Viewtron AI cameras is much more reliable than video motion technique used by a non-AI camera. Traditional video motion detection produces a lot of false alerts. A well trained AI camera can detect cars and motorcycles in real time and with 99% accuracy. Object detection events can trigger alarms such as video recording, mobile app push notifications, DVR buzzer, photo snapshots, and email alerts. Watch the above video to see a vehicle detection demo.
The person detection function of Viewtron AI cameras works the same as vehicle / car detection. An intrusion zone is mapped out on the DVR interface. The only difference is that human detection is selected in the setup, instead of vehicles. The red rectangle is the intrusion zone in in the above screenshot. You can see when Mike crosses over the intrusion zone, he is detected as a human and an alarm event is triggered. This
dome IP camera with AI was used to capture the above screenshot.
The face detection function of Viewtron AI cameras makes it easy to trigger alarms based on a human face appearing within the view of the camera. The above screenshot was captured using a
Viewtron IP-A4D dome AI camera connected to a
Viewtron IP camera NVR. When a face is detected, the event is recorded in the NVR's database. Thumbnail images can be displayed (like you see above) for easy access to playback the recorded video of the facial detection.
AI Camera NVR
Viewtron IP camera NVRs support the AI functions that you see above. However, only certain IP camera models support specific AI functions.
Did you know? CCTV Camera Pros can provide a complete surveillance system quote that includes any Viewtron DVR or NVR model? We can include security cameras, cables, connectors, power supplies, and monitors. We can even mix and match IP cameras and HD BNC security cameras because Viewtron DVRs are hybrid. This means that they work with just about any type of security camera. As you have probably already seen on our website, we have 2, 4, 8, and 16 camera surveillance systems in pre-made packages. However, it is not possible for us to package up every combination and quantity of all the different camera models that we carry. So, we can also provide you with a custom quote with as many cameras as you need and a mix of any combination of camera model(s) based on your project requirements. Please
request a quote when you are ready.
Related Products and Articles