The LPR-AHD5 is a 1080p HD LPR camera (license plate capture) that supports analog CCTV, AHD, HD-TVI, and HD-CVI video formats. Installers can select the video format using the OSD joystick that is accessible in the compartment on the bottom of the camera. You may be interested in learning about these
complete LPR camera systems for gated entrances.
Best LPR System
The LPR-AHD5 is our best selling CCTV LPR camera (coax cable + BNC video connector). However, if you are looking for overall
best LPR camera system, please take a look at our Viewtron IP based system that includes a network LPR IP camera and NVR with built-in LPR / ANPR software (automatic Number Plate Recognition).
Installers will be interested in the LPR-AHD5 product if they are searching for any of following.
- AHD LPR camera
- HD-TVI LPR camera
- HD-CVI LPR camera
- Analog CCTV LPR camera
This license plate recognition camera can be used to record the plates of stationary and moving vehicles. This camera has a 5-50mm motorized lens that lets the installer adjust the zoom angle of the picture. This camera is designed
to be mounted up to 50 feet (15 meters) from the target recording zone. The camera should be mounted less than 16 feet / 5 meters high. The less of an angle to the target license plate recording zone, the better this camera works. This camera has been tested to be effective in capturing license plates on moving vehicles up to 65 MPH / 105 KM/Hr. It can also capture plates on slowly moving vehicles and vehicles that are completely stopped.
This camera is hardwired to a surveillance DVR using an RG59 coax cable. CCTV Camera Pros recommends iDVR-PRO DVRs for use with this camera. iDVR-PROs can record at 1080p resolution / 30 frames per second. 30 FPS recording is recommended for license plate capture systems.
You can learn about the Viewtron security DVRs we recommend for LPR systems here.
All-Inclusive License Plate Capture Systems
CCTV Camera Pros also supplies complete LPR camera systems that include LPR cameras, HD overview cameras, DVRs, cables, and power supplies. Check out this
license plate capture system that comes with the LPR-AHD5. We can also provide you with a custom quote and consultation.
Important LPR Info
Important Note! This is a high contrast black and white camera designed specifically to capture license plates. CCTV Camera Pros recommends using this camera in conjunction with a second camera that is used to provide a color overview of vehicles. The LPR-AHD5 should be positioned and adjusted so that it closely captures the traffic lane being monitored. The overview camera view can be positioned much wider to capture a video overview. Please refer to these LPR camera installation instructions for more information.
- This camera is a High Contrast, Black & White camera designed ONLY to capture license plates.
- It is NOT designed to provide a wide angle, color overview image.
- It should be mounted no greater than 50 ft. away from the target vehicles.
- The vari-focal lens adjustment should be “Zoomed in” to the bumper level of the target vehicles approximately 6 to 16 ft across.
- When running this camera in HD-CVI mode, installers must use 95% copper braided / solid core 75 ohm RG59 cable. Although this is recommended for all modes, in our testing it is a must for HDCVI otherwise the video results are problematic.
- 1080p HD Video Resolution using TVI, AHD, and CVI modes
- 960H Resolution (960 x 480) using analog CCTV mode
- Video Connector: BNC
- Power Connector: Screw Terminals (2.1mm Pigtail Included)
- 1/3" Panasonic CMOS Image Sensor
- Approx. 2.12 Mega Pixels (Max. 1080p)
- 5pcs of SR-LED & 25pcs of 850nM IR LED
- Motorized Zoom Lens (ICR f=5~50mm)
- LPR Recognition Up to 50 Feet / 15 Meters
- Works at speeds up to 65 MPH / 105 KM/Hr
- Weatherproof Outdoor Housing
- OSD Controls
- Dual Voltage: 12V DC or 24VAC
- NDAA Compliant LPR Camera
Please use these recommended best practices in order to plan a successful license plate capture camera installation. It is important to mount the camera so that the camera view width is 16 feet or less at the point where plates will be captured. License plate cameras can not monitor wide areas also capture small details like the numbers on a license plate. These are extremely important concepts to understand when planning a successful license plate capture system.
Horizontal Mounting Angle
LPR cameras should not be mounted at a distance to the left or right side of the viewing area at an angle greater than 15 degrees.
Vertical Mounting Angle
In order to capture the numbers and letters on a license plate, LPR cameras cannot be mounted at a height that creates an angle greater than 30 degrees. The less of an angle, the better when it comes to license plate capture.
Image Capture Width
It is also important to plan the cameras field of view carefully. LPR cameras are not designed to capture a wide field of view. They are designed to monitor a focal width approximately equal to a single lane of traffic (about 16 feet). Because the LPR-AHD5 is 1080p HD resolution, you can go slightly wider than this in some cases (as long as the vertical and horizontal mounting angles are minimal).
The following guidelines should be used when installing this LPR camera.
- Mount between 3 and 16 feet high (not to exceed a 30-degree angle). The less of an angle - the better performance.
- Mount between 12 and 50 feet from the area where vehicles will be passing so that the area of capture is about 16 feet wide.
LPR Camera Setup
The above diagram will assist installers with setup and installation of the LPR-AHD5.
- Video - the video output on this camera is a BNC female connection that provides the 1080p video output for AHD, HD-TVI, and CVI video modes. 960H analog video output when in analog CVBS mode. Installers can use a spool of RG59 coax with a BNC male connector or a premade security camera cable to attach this video output a surveillance DVR.
- Power - the power input on this camera uses a standard 2.1mm male plug. The power supply included with this camera simply plugs into this.
- Lens & Focus - UPDATE! The latest version of the LPR-AHD5 has a motorized zoom / auto-focus lens. These manual focus screws are no longer located on the underside of the camera. Instead, installers can adjust the angle of view from the DVR by using the zoom in / out controls. Installers can also use the mobile app of the DVR they are using.
Here are some helpful notes that we made while testing this camera at CCTV Camera Pros. Depending on the lighting conditions at the location of installation, the installer may need to adjust the AGC (auto gain control) using the OSD of the camera. It is simple to do this. We recommend first testing the camera in day and night time conditions before changing this setting.
To adjust the AGC level, Initiate the camera's OSD menu by pressing on the OSD joystick under the camera (within the service panel). When you press the joystick down, the OSD menu will appear on the screen.
Navigate the OSD menu with the joystick and select "EXPOSURE".
Next, select "AGC" and press the joystick right and left to adjust the "AGC" lower or higher until the plate looks clear.
Last, select Return. Then Save & End.
These images were captured using an LPR-AHD5 recording to an iDVR-PRO DVR. Please note that even though these images were captured during the day, the camera is capturing in black and white. Please click on the images to see the full 1080p image size.
This first image was captured with the license plate 20 feet away from the camera.
This second image was with the license plate 40 feet away from where the camera is mounted.
for both photos, the camera was mounted 6 feet high for a very level angle of view.
License Plate Capture Video Demo
Watch the above video to see the difference a high-definition LPR camera makes.
LPR-AHD5 camera specification PDF here.
This camera works great with
Viewtron security camera DVRs. Viewtron 4K CCTV DVRs are hybrid. They support analog CCTV cameras, HD BNC cameras, and network IP cameras up to 4K resolution.
Custom Systems Designs & Quotes
CCTV Camera Pros designs custom video surveillance systems for customers and can provide a free quotes via email. In addition, you can schedule a free telephone consultation with a Pro.
We realize that requirements can vary and some customers need to mix and match various model cameras. Some customers have questions and prefer to speak with a professional designer on the phone. You can
request a free telephone consultation here. You can request a free custom quote here. You can also just email us directly instead of filling out a form here.
This camera is NDAA compliant. That means that it is not manufactured by any of the manufacturers on the NDAA (the National Defense Authorization Act) list of banned manufacturers. This camera does not use any materials from banned manufactures either. This camera may safely be purchased for government use. You can find additional NDAA compliant cameras and DVRs here.
CCTV Camera Pros is proud to have an
A+ rating at the Better Business Bureau and an average of 5 star reviews at Reseller Ratings. We were able to achieve this through the outstanding technical support and customer service that our team provides to our customers.