How-to Determine if your CCTV DVR Hard Drive Hard Failed
Troubleshooting Guide for iDVR-PRO and iDVR-E Video Surveillance DVRs
CCTV Camera Pros created this page to show customers the steps taken when determining if a hard drive failure has occurred on iDVR-PRO surveillance DVRs. These same steps can be used for iDVR-E and other brand security camera DVRs as well.
Indicators the Hard Drive on your DVR may have failedHere are a few examples of situations that may indicate your hard drive has failed.
- If you try to access recorded video surveillance footage and you cannot find any video in the history or playback section of your DVR.
- When DVR's boot-up there is a "test" phase that they run through to check for any errors prior to going into the programmed recording mode. If the DVR is stalling during this phase it could indicate a problem with the hard drive
Complete the following steps
- When the DVR is powered down, Remove the cover from the DVR.
- Inside the DVR you will find 2 main components, One is the Motherboard, the other is the SATA Hard drive. (See image below).
- At the back of the SATA Hard drive, you will see 2 connectors. I want you to remove both of them from the back of the hard drive.
- Now try and boot the DVR again.
- Did the DVR boot up fine this time?
- Are you able to navigate around the DVR's menu without issue?
If you answered yes to these questions then you need to replace your DVR's Hard drive. You can find replacement CCTV DVR hard drives here.
Learn more about iDVR-PRO
| iPhone / iPad Compatible
| Android Compatible
| Mac Compatible
Click here to learn more about the latest iDVR-PRO CCTV DVRs.
Works with Analog CCTV and HD Security Cameras
Hybrid iDVR-PROs work with the following security camera types and resolutions.
- AHD Cameras (720p and 1080p resolution models supported)
- TVI Cameras (720p and 1080p resolution models supported)
- Analog CCTV Cameras (all analog resolution supported including CIF, D1, 960H)
Request a Demo
If you do not currently have an iDVR-PRO and would like to log in to the demo unit at our office, please request a demo login below. You will be able to log in from iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile devices. You can also log in from Macintosh and Windows computers. Please click here to request a demo login.
Complete CCTV Systems
Did you know? CCTV Camera Pros can provide a complete surveillance system quote that includes any iDVR-PRO model with cameras, cables, connectors, power supplies, and monitors? We can even mix and match SD and HD security cameras because the latest iDVR-PROs are hybrid. They work with CCTV, AHD, and HD-TVI type cameras. As you have probably already seen on our website, we have 2, 4, 8, and 16 camera surveillance systems in pre-made packages. However, it is not possible for us to package up every combination and quantity of all the different camera models that we carry. So, we can also provide you with a custom quote with as many cameras as you need and a mix of any combination of camera model(s) based on your project requirements.
About the Author
This article was written by Mike Haldas, co-founder and managing partner of CCTV Camera Pros. If you have any questions about iPhone security camera app for iDVR, please email me at email@example.com.