The Balun-4PHUB is a 4 channel passive video balun transceiver used with analog CCTV and HD coax security cameras. It converts 4 BNC coax video inputs to a single RJ45 CAT5 connection. Alternatively, a raw wire connection terminal can be used instead of the RJ45 Ethernet connection. The following security camera types are supported: analog CCTV (CVBS), AHD, HD-TVI, and HD-CVI. CIF, D1, 960H, 720p, 1080p, 3mp, 4mp, 5mp, and 8mp / 4k resolutions are supported.
(2) BALUN-4PHUBs can be used together for a complete
4ch passive balun installation. One acts as the transmitter and the other as the receiver. As a passive solution, it transmits video from up to 4 BNC security cameras up to 1200 feet. These units do not require a power source because they are passive. Save time and money running one cat-5 cable instead of 4 RG59 cables.
(1) BALUN-4PHUB can also be used with
VT-98334R active baluns receivers to create a 4ch active balun installation. This increases the distance that the CAT5 cable can be run to 4500 feet.
PLEASE NOTE: the BALUN-4PHUB is sold as a single unit - NOT a pair.
BNC to CAT-5 Balun Specification
- 4 Channel Video Balun Receiver / Transmitter
- 4 x BNC Female, 1 x RJ45, 1 x 8 Pin Connection Terminal Block
- Choice of RJ45 or terminal block for CAT5 Connection
- STP / UTP CAT5 or above can be used (CAT6 works great too)
- Up to 1200 Feet Transmission Distance Passive
- Up to 2700 Feet Transmission Distance when used with Active Balun on Opposite End
- Compatible Video Formats: Analog CCTV (CVBS), HD-TVI, AHD, HD-CVI Cameras
- Compatible Video Resolutions: CIF, D1, 960H, 1080p, 3mp, 4mp, 5mp, 8mp / 4k
- Cost savings by replacing costly coaxial cable
- Dimensions: 3" (L) x 4" (W) x 1 1/6" (H)
- No power required
This is an installation diagram that uses two BALUN-4PHUBs, one as the transmitter and one as the receiver. This is how it works.
- 4 dome security cameras are connected to the BNC video input of the 4PHUB on the left (transmitter). Installers can use RG59 coax cable from a spool or pre-made security camera cables.
- CAT-5 cable is used to connect the transmitter balun to the receiver balun. Installers have their choice of using CAT-5 with RJ45 connectors on the end or connecting the 8 UTP cables in the CAT-5 to the terminal block on the 4ch balun.
- The BNC connectors on the receiving balun are connected to the BNC video inputs on the surveillance DVR. Again, RG59 cable from a spool or pre-made security camera cables can be used.
This installation uses one 4ch passive balun (BALUN-4PHUB on the left) acting as the video transmitter and 4 VT-98334R active video balun receivers on the right. This increases the distance that the security camera video signal can travel over the CAT5 to 2700 feet. This is how it works.
- The 4 security cameras on the left are connected to the BNC inputs on the balun using RG59 coax cable (just like the passive balun installation). These security cameras can be a mix of analog CCTV, AHD, HD-TVI, and HD-CVI type cameras.
- CAT5 cable can be run up to 2700 feet to the active balun receivers. The RJ45 Ethernet connector or the raw terminal block can be used on the 4ch passive balun.
- The VT-98334R active balun receivers have a 2 wire push terminal. This is because you will be connecting one or the four UTP cable pairs from the CAT5 to each of the active baluns.
- PLEASE NOTE: because the VT-98334R is an active balun, they must be connected to a power source using the 12V DC power supply that is included. The power supplies DO NOT appear in the above installation diagram.
RJ45 or Terminal Block for CAT5
Here is a close-up view of the side of the BALUN-4PHUB where the CAT5 cable is connected. Installers have the option of using an RJ45 connector or connecting the raw UTP cable of the CAT5 to this terminal block.
The BALUN-4PHUB is compatible with the following security camera types and resolutions.
- Analog CCTV Cameras (CVBS) - CIF, D1, 960H
- AHD Cameras - 720p, 1080p, 3mp, 4mp, 5mp, 8mp / 4K
- HD-TVI Cameras - 720p, 1080p, 3mp, 4mp, 5mp, 8mp / 4K
- HD-CVI Cameras - 720p, 1080p, 3mp, 4mp, 5mp, 8mp / 4K