Viewing CCTV Cameras from Multiple DVRs and Locations
The iDVR-E and iDVR-RT16 series surveillance DVRs
support the ability to centrally view CCTV cameras connected to separate DVRs using the EMS (enterprise management software) that is included. This software is extremely useful for business owners that need an enterprise surveillance system consisting of multiple locations. Users can also combine viewing security cameras at their home(s) with cameras at one or more business. Please note that the EMS software is designed for Windows based PCs. The iDVR has a Mac software client, but it is limited to connect to one DVR at a time.
Multiple DVR Surveillance System Network Diagram
The below diagram illustrates a network diagram of three iDVR-E16 CCTV DVRs
on the same network being monitored by a laptop computer that is also on the same network as the DVRs using the EMS software. Although this diagram shows the DVRs and computer on the same network, the EMS software also works when some or all of the DVRs are on different networks / locations, and the PC is also at a remote location.
Setup Multiple DVR Viewer Software (EMS)
Please follow these instructions to setup viewing cameras from multiple DVRs using EMS. Please note that the example used for these instructions covers setting up multiple DVRs at the same location.
- Download the latest EMS software for the iDVR here.
- Launch the software on your Windows PC.
- One the software launches:
1) Click the Device button
2) The Device Manager screen will open and search your local network for all compatible DVRs. The following models are supported: iDVR-E4, iDVR-E8, iDVR-E16, and iDVR-RT16.
3) Click OK to add the DVRs that were found to the EMS software.
- When the device manager window closes:
1) You will see the DVRs added to the EMS software.
2) Click on the New VDVR button.
3) This creates a "virtual DVR" view that allows you to add cameras from any DVR in the EMS to the new view. The newly created virtual DVR will appear just like a physical DVR in the menu.
- After the virtual DVR view is added
1) Click on the online/offline button to connect to all DVRs configured in the EMS software.
2) Double-click on the virtual DVR to open the view of the VDVR.
3) Drag and drop the cameras from any DVR into the virtual DVR view. You can add up to 64 cameras and you can create additional virtual DVRs if needed.
This article was written by
Mike Haldas, co-founder and managing partner of CCTV Camera Pros. Questions about this article can be directed to email@example.com.