Email to Push Notification Setup | Push Message from Email
An email to push notification service is extremely useful to use with devices that support email alerts, but do not yet support mobile push messages. This is the case with many video surveillance system DVRs and network IP cameras. Receiving push messages from email can also be very useful in non CCTV related applications. CCTV Camera Pros recently used Pushover, a push message app for iOS and Android, to send push messages when alarm events occur on security DVRs and IP cameras.
This page documents the email to push message setup with Pushover. Please note that these instructions are NOT specific to security equipment.
- Sign up for a Pushover account here: https://pushover.net/
- Download the Pushover app for iOS and/or Android here.
Download iOS App
Download Android App
- Launch the mobile app and login using the user ID and password you selected when you signed up.
- If your device asks for permission for Pushover to send you push notifications, say yes.
- Login to your account from a desktop computer. https://pushover.net/
- From the Pushover control panel, send a test push message.
- After you verify that you can successfully receive push notifications in the app, take note of the email address that you have been assigned that is located on the same screen.
- This is the email address that you can use to send message to that will get forwarded as a push notification to your mobile device.
Here is an image that shows what the push notification looks like on iPhone after an iDVR-PRO sends an email alert that was triggered by video motion detection using a CCTV camera.
CCTV Camera Pros has used the Pushover service with products like our iDVR-PRO because it does not yet support push notifications directly. However, iDVR-PRO CCTV DVRs can be configured to send email alerts based on any of the following events.
By configuring the DVR to send an email to our Pushover API email address, we can get near real time alerts when any of the above alarms types are triggered.
- External Alarm triggered (such as motions sensor, door sensor, infrared trip wire)
- Video Motion detected by camera
- Camera video loss
- Camera tamper detected
- Disk drive overwrite started
- Disk drive full
- No disk drive installed
- Panic recording started
- System bootup
- Remote login failed
- Internal fan failure
- Internet connection trouble
- Failed DDNS update
iDVR-PRO Email to Push Notification Setup
Now that you have the email to push notification service setup and you have downloaded and installed the iOS or Android mobile app on your device, you can simply
setup an email alert on your iDVR-PRO CCTV DVR. When you get to the step on that page where you enter the email address that you want to notifications sent to, use the Pushover email address that you were assigned.
Get Push Notifications from and CCTV DVR or IP Camera
Please note that these instructions can be applied to other video surveillance DVRs and also IP cameras. The concept of using a email to push notification service will work with any device that supports email alerts. Click here to
learn how we also use email to push with Zavio IP cameras.
Learn more about iDVR-PRO
iPhone / iPad Compatible
Click here to
learn more about the latest iDVR-PRO CCTV DVRs.
Works with Analog CCTV and HD Security Cameras
Hybrid iDVR-PROs work with the following security camera types and resolutions.
- AHD Cameras (720p and 1080p resolution models supported)
- TVI Cameras (720p and 1080p resolution models supported)
- Analog CCTV Cameras (all analog resolution supported including CIF, D1, 960H)
Request a Demo
If you do not currently have an iDVR-PRO and would like to log in to the demo unit at our office, please request a demo login below. You will be able to login from iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile devices. You can also login from Macintosh and Windows computers. Please
click here to request a demo login.
Complete CCTV Systems
Did you know? CCTV Camera Pros can provide a complete surveillance system quote that includes any iDVR-PRO model with cameras, cables, connectors, power supplies, and monitors? We can even mix and match SD and HD security cameras because the latest iDVR-PROs are hybrid. They work with CCTV, AHD, and HD-TVI type cameras. As you have probably already seen on our website, we have 2, 4, 8, and 16 camera surveillance systems in pre-made packages. However, it is not possible for us to package up every combination and quantity of all the different camera models that we carry. So, we can also provide you with a custom quote with as many cameras as you need and a mix of any combination of camera model(s) based on your project requirements.
About the Author
This article was written by
Mike Haldas, co-founder and managing partner of CCTV Camera Pros. If you have any questions about iPhone security camera app for iDVR, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.